Sunday, September 22, 2013

Blog entry #3 - Class #3

Blog 3 – Due: 9/25/13
As we moved forward in the class I felt like I was stock on picking a topic. What I struggled with the most was thinking that I had to be about something creative that was TRUE and at the same time connect with my audience. I am used to writing Fiction or Non-Fiction events that I added things to, to make it more exciting. So writing CNF is a challenge for me. In the mist of thinking about a topic for this essay I encounter some ideas in my head that I experience which were exiting and life changing for me. These are just some possibilities for my topic:

1.       A trip to Peru - In 2010 I went to Peru with my boyfriend and his family. This was an unforgettable experience for me. It was the first time I was going so far away with my boyfriend’s family. At the time we had been going out for almost three years and even though I was pretty comfortable with his family who live here, I didn't really know everybody there; this made me a little nervous. I was going to be alone in a different country staying at someone’s house that I didn't really know. Visiting a new country was so exciting for me. Peru is known for having beautiful places so I was looking forward to visiting as much as I could from it. In the US there are many Peruvian restaurants where I had the opportunity to try their dishes, now I was going to their actual country so I was looking forward to try their dishes made in Peru. The whole experience was incredible. I visited many cities there, took over 1000 pictures!! with my camera and the people there were extremely nice. It was a one in a lifetime experience for me and since I went there I can’t wait until I go back. There were many views there that were just incredible. I tried taking pictures of everything but sometimes the pictures I took just couldn't compare to the beauty my eyes saw.
2.       A trip to Portugal and Spain - I’m from Venezuela a beautiful country in South America. There they don’t celebrate a sweet sixteen for young girls. They, instead make a huge party when the young girls turn 15. I was already living in this country when my 15th birthday was coming up. I didn't really want a huge party to celebrate such event so my mother gave me the option to pick between having a party or taking a trip. I chose a trip. My mom and I went to Portugal and Spain for two weeks. It was beautiful. Going to Portugal was exciting and after about three days there I understood more what they were saying. Although Spanish and Portuguese have similar words when Portuguese speaking people speak they go so fast that I can barely understand them. During my trip I noticed that people from Spain had a different accent than mine although we were both speaking Spanish. This I already knew but it was fascinating to be in their country and hear them speak. There is something about language that always interests me and it is very nice for me to hear people from different countries speak.
3.       A trip to Canada - I went to Canada in 2008 with a group of about 50. Some included family members and my boyfriend. The rest were students and professors. We drove there on a “RV”—search the correct name. The drive was long (search how many hours). We slept and talk and slept and talked some more. When we finally arrive we took a trip around the Niagara Falls, we took many pictures, we went during the winter, it was frizzing but it was fun. We stayed there for like about a week and I was just so excited about staying a hotel. There is just something special about hotels, they just make me feel like I’m in an unknown place where I’ll have fun and fun and fun. Everything is just so clean and perfectly organized.
4.       Changing my permanent address to an USA location – I was 9 years old when I came to this country, this is probably one of the events that impacted my life so much. Everything changed for me. My world suddenly just wasn’t the same anymore. I was told by my mother we were moving but I couldn’t really understand what this meant until I found myself in a new country, a new school, far away from the rest of my family member. A new language, new food, new seasons. I arrived to this country on December 24th, it was a snowy day. It was fun at the very beginning but it was such a challenge for me when the months went by. I had to make new friends, I had to learn a total different language, I had to get adjusted to the food here. … eventually things got better and my life would’ve never been the same if I would’ve stayed in my country… or maybe it would’ve… I’ll never really know or maybe one day I’ll find out. But for the moment this is my address, it has been for more than ten years, I’m still growing up and experiencing new things.

These are some options I have to write my essay, but I am still not sure if I’ll be able to write a successful CNF piece with these events I’ve lived in my life. 

1 comment:

  1. Maria--I am totally on board with you about being stuck on a topic for CNF. I am also used to writing fiction, and the luxury of being to embellish to the point of surrealism. :-P But from what I can see you're really on a roll with ideas! I love that all of your ideas have to do with an adventure. Travel is an awesome way not just to build life stories but then be able to tell them with a beginning, middle and end (of the trip).

    And then there is the adventure of you coming here to the States permanently--completely entrenched in a culture and language you weren't familiar with. What a change! I think that'd be a great essay. I'll be excited to hear what you pick. Don't sell your experiences short--I think these ideas really are the stuff of CNF.

    ReplyDelete