Unpredictable
Wedding Day
It’s about
10:00 a.m. and I’m daydreaming behind my steering wheel, went down about five
blocks; passed the spooky hidden house at the end of my street, the old brick
one, and the blue one with the strange star by their attic window that’s
usually decorated every holiday. The traffic light on Chandler and 3rd
Ave. must’ve been green because I don’t remember stopping there. That’s how
Chandler Ave looks like, having gone down this street almost every day; it has
always looked the same. Somehow that morning I didn’t noticed anything.
I don’t know
where my mind was. I had just left home, started driving and picked up my phone
to quickly call my boyfriend to let him know I was on my way to the salon.
Hi
babi I’m on my way to the salon
Ok,
just let me know when you are done there
Ok,
I’ll talk to you later bye
Bye
babi
Our friends
were getting married later on that day. The moment I put my phone down next to
me, was when I zoned out. Can’t remember what happened after that. What was I
thinking? Perhaps I was doing a check list in my head
I
have my dress, my shoes, and did my nails. I still have to do my eyebrows and
my hair.
Suddenly, at
about 10:05 a.m., I snapped out of it by a crashing impact. It’s too late. I
ran a stop sign, I tried to break. By the time I went to a full stop a bus had
taken my front bumper. I’m in the middle of an intersection; don’t know what to
do. Looked around. I’m okay. Nothing hurts. I put my car on reverse, parked by
the curve and called my boyfriend again this time to tell him that a bus had
just hit me when I ran a stop sign. I tell him where I am, he’ll come soon he
says, he lives just a few minutes away. I called the cops and reported the
accident.
Two cop
cars, several people all spread around the street and sidewalk, my damaged car,
a bus with not much damage, a nervous bus driver who was stuttering and whose
hands were shaking, along with my confused self, filled the scene. I can see
parts from my car lying in the middle of the street. Many questions about what
happened are asked but I don’t know what to say.
I
can’t remember officer, I ran the stop sign and by the time I noticed, it was
too late.
Three seconds after and the bus
would’ve hit the side of the driver’s door; that would’ve been you, consider
yourself lucky, the cop says to me.
No one on the bus got hurt. I got a
ticket for running the stop sign and lost a front bumper, thank God that’s all
that happened.
It’s about
8:00 pm now, I’m wearing a chiffon red long dress with silver rhinestones on
the top border, silver heels, soft make up, and the ends of my hair are curled
up. I’m ready to wrap my arm around my boyfriends’ warm arm. He is in a black
tuxedo, with a beautiful red rose on the left side of his tuxedo jacket; his
sharp fresh haircut takes my breath away. Beautiful bright room, white carpet
down the aisle, red pedals all over the floor, the music is playing, we walk
down the aisle the wedding ceremony has begun, my bumper less car along with my
eighty-five dollar ticket wait outside while we are ready to dance our night
away.
No comments:
Post a Comment